There are many ways in which you can market your online business; some are costly and others are almost free. ‘Almost’ because it still takes time and time is money in the world of business. That said, at least it need not be difficult and social media marketing (SMM) is one of the easier and often, more productive ways to market your business. Why?
Think how many hours you and your friends and their friends spend on social media platforms such as Facebook. Many of those people may require what you have to sell and if you can bring it to them where they hang out, they are more likely to see and purchase it. This is the traditional equivalent of a clothing store putting a rack of sale clothes out on the street for passersby to see, or a coffee shop placing chairs and tables out on the street to remind everyone how much they need a coffee break.
So here are 10 social media marketing tips
- Listen to what’s important to others. Join in the discussion and don’t be there primarily to sell your product.
- Don’t try to make your campaign too broad. You can’t be all things to all people. It’s better to have three small, tightly focussed campaigns than one that encompasses the information all three contain.
- Think quality. Not in your goods, that should be a given, but in that 1000 online connections who read, share and discuss – and purchase is better than 10,000 who disappear soon after and are never heard from again.
- Be patient. This kind of marketing doesn’t usually happen overnight. It can, but usually requires you to be in it for the long haul.
- Compounding is tops. If you share excellent information your 1,000 readers will share it with all their friends and it will be like ripples in a pond, ever widening to include yet more people.
- Take time to find the influencers in your area of goods/services and reach out to them. If they perceive you as an authoritative person – with your help – they could well post your information to their own horde of fans.
- Give value by offering something for nothing so that people can see you are not just in it for yourself. This can be as simple as some good advice that does not give you any kickback, but just helps other people.
- Acknowledge everyone who reaches out to you online just as you would if they spoke to you in person.
Talk about the content that others have shared so it’s not all about you all the time. Be genuine and care for people and they will be the same to you.