Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

on-site-and-off-site-seo

There are many different elements to digital marketing and especially search engine optimisation (SEO) and each of them is important. Many people concentrate on onsite SEO without realising that it is not as important as many off-site elements. This could be because it is easier to ensure keywords are in the right places and that there are internal links. A clear call to action and relevant graphics, a nice header and so on are all good and necessary, but if you ignore offsite SEO, don’t expect the website to perform as well as it should.

Most people know what onsite SEO is, so what is offsite SEO and how can it benefit your website if it is not actually on the pages? Onsite SEO refers to such things as –

  • The quantity and quality of the links you have to and from your website
  • Traffic and user signals
  • Social media metrics
  • The mention of your brand name and domain name on other sites

Some of these do link back to having something on your website, e.g. social media sharing buttons, but most of the activity is done offsite. For instance, while you have social media buttons on your website and someone clicks one of them to share your information to say, Facebook, the benefits to your website then come from the resulting Facebook activity.

This will usually lead to the mention of the brand name and perhaps the domain name as well and can easily lead to a flurry of visitors to your website. While these elements are considered more important than having the right keywords and important information, without those two, the person would not be bothered clicking the social media button to start with.

So while we might consider the off-site elements to be 65% of the ‘weight of factors’ in importance, without the other 35% of onsite elements they would not work as well. If you didn’t bother about having the onsite elements in place it would be like having 35% of a jigsaw missing; it would totally spoil the good effects of all the other pieces.

That is why it is a good idea to have your website designed and set up by a professional. They know exactly how to ensure it will have the whole 100% of important SEO factors all in place so your website has a much better chance of being all you want it to be for your business. Plus, they can ensure that your website has stable base functions that can easily be expanded so it will still suit your business in 10 or more year’s time.

When choosing a website designer, get one that has experience in website design for small or medium businesses so you can be sure your website will be one of the best.