Many people ask us, “How can I get my website listed first on Google?” I would like to give them the answer they want to hear. “Oh, that’s easy.” Unfortunately, the true answer is, “Well, it can be done, but it will take time and a commitment to making regular content improvements to your site.” Here are a few suggestions to get you started. If you have questions feel free to shoot us an email.
1) Find keywords. Pick a list of words relevant to your business. Think like a person who is about to perform a search on a search engine. What words would they use to find your site? Create a list of those words. You will use some of them in the following suggestions.
2) Use your keywords in the title of the page. The page title is one of the most important things that Google and other search engines look at to determine what information is on a web page. Only use one or two keywords in the page title. They should to be relevant to the content on the page. Each page will have its own keywords used in the title.
3) Use keywords in page name. Google and other search engines consider the text used in the URL to determine the content on the page. Ergo, use one of your keywords in the actual file name of the page.
4) Use keywords in the page content. When you write the content for a web page, be sure to use several of your keywords in the context of your writing. All the keywords you choose to use should be relevant to the page and to some degree relevant to one another. This will help you to keep your writing focused on a singular topic. If you have too many topics on one page you will dilute the effectiveness of the keywords used.
5) Monitor your listing position. Most search engines will find your site within a week and will add your site’s pages to their index. After a week, perform a search using your keywords. See if any of your pages are listed. At first you may have to dig deep to find them. Over time your listing position should improve. There are more factors that will influence how quickly this improves. Be sure to ask for the next five tips that will ensure you get the listing position you want.
Want to read the next five? Give us a call (860-896-1825) or contact us to receive all “10 Tips for Better Search Engine Listing”